4 Tips to Help You Create a Customer Avatar
As a person, we all have differences. You may think coffee is a blessing from nature, but for some, it’s a trash that shouldn’t have existed. What I’m saying is— you cannot please everyone. The same goes for Marketing. You should take into consideration, that everyone has their own preferences. This is why you should create your customer avatar.
What is a Customer Avatar?
It’s a non-existent character which embodies the characteristics of your ideal customer— your ‘target market’ in the form of a single customer. He/she has demographics, personality, and culture.
Think of it as a customer, whom you’re selling your services or products to. He/she must have an experience, preferences, and dislikes.
Why is Customer Avatar Important?
A single target is an easy target. I’m not saying that you should only target one person. It is easier to know who your target is— so you will know how to target them. If you know what your customers want, you can easily connect with them. As we have tackled from the previous article, having an avatar for your customer improves your inbound marketing strategy.
1. Start from the Basics
Fill in the details of your characters first, start from the very basic things in his or her life. Your goal here is to find out what motivates to avail your products and services.
Have yourself answer these questions:
- What is his or her Demographics
- Marital status
- Educational Attainment
- What does he or she do for a living
- What is his or her job title?
- What decisions does he or she do in his or her job?
- What is his or her Psychographics?
- What is your Character’s Goal?
- What keeps your character from achieving that goal?
- How can you help your character achieve that goal?
- What is your Character’s Purchasing Role?
- Will your character buy your product?
- Does your character have the power over the decisions he or she makes when buying your products?
- How will you make him or her buy your product?
- Where does your character get his or her information?
- Social Media
- News Outlets
2. Conduct a Research
Now, you have an idea what your character’s personality is, and how they behave. However, this is just the starting point. Conduct your research, in order for you to understand your character better.
If you have already established your business and have existing customers:
- Conduct an Interview for a quick insight about your products and services.
- Have your sales and marketing team members tell you what they know about the people who avail your products and services.
- What are your customer’s questions and concerns?
- Conduct online surveys
- Take a look at your analytics
If you’re still starting and you don’t have an existing customer:
- Find out who your target audience is
- Conduct a survey of your potential customers
- Identify your competitor’s customers
- Identify the influencers on your industry. Can some of them become your customer?
3. Make a Record Out Of Your Research
This is my favorite part. After coming up with the characteristics and conducting your research, it’s time we create a story out of our records. Give your character an identity.
- Give your character a name
- Find a stock photo representation of your character
- Create a story about your character
- Make your character as human as possible
4. Identify the People You Do NOT Want to Attract
This is pretty tricky, now that you know how to create an avatar, do not forget to think of the people you do not want to attract. Don’t try wooing the people who are not interested in your product. It will only cost you money, time and effort. Instead, you should exert effort to those who you think are similar to your customer avatar.
Be specific when it comes to creating your customer avatar. Pattern your Marketing Campaigns after your avatar and from then, start improving your customer engagement. Make your customers feel as if you know them better than they know themselves. Don’t have a CRM Singapore software yet? Contact us now! We’ll be glad to walk you through the benefits of using Infusionsoft CRM and how it can help your business.